EasyBuild is a framework for building and installing (scientific) software on HPC systems.
Over time, it has grown out to be a well-established tool across HPC sites worldwide that helps to alleviate
the burden of providing a consistent stack of scientific software to end users in a robust and reproducible way.
Stable versions of EasyBuild have been released frequently ever since the first public release in April’12
and the version 1.0 milestone release in November’12.
In this talk we will look back at the evolution of EasyBuild over the years,
highlighting the important aspects and features that were developed over time.
Covered topics will include:
- support for over 1,200 different software packages
- configurability of EasyBuild (e.g., module naming scheme, etc.)
- keeping EasyBuild stable through rigorous testing
- the EasyBuild documentation
- integration with GitHub to lower the bar for contributing and facilitate testing of incoming contributions
- transparency of the software installation procedure through ‘dry run’ mode
- the EasyBuild community
We will also look forward at ongoing developments and future plans.